Walk Iceland - My Commune with a Glacier

To me there is not anything proved to be better than getting outdoors as well as going for a nice long trip. I love the adventure, the actual physical challenge and exploring brand new places. I also have a certain proclivity towards glaciers. I think they are amazing, though I have in no way actually seen one close up. Last month I got the chance to do exactly that.

I didn't go to Iceland just for hiking, I was generally there on business. But on the weekend, I decided to get to guide a tour. There are several walking and trekking tour businesses in Iceland so it was not hard. With the help of the front table clerk at the hotel I had been staying at, I got in touch with an organization that offers tours right from Reykjavik; turns out that you don't necessarily need to travel far to get in nature or to commune having a glacier. We are also providing Iceland Backpacking Trip.


Anyways, I created my choice of tour providers and told them things i wanted to do. They recommended a tour that suit my time frame and wish to explore a glacier, in this instance Sólheimajökull glacier. I think this particular translates as 'sun home glacier, ' at least I think which is what it translates to with the rough knowledge of Icelandic. This specific glacier is located about 2 hours away from the capital city.

The actual tour company picked me personally up from my resort in the morning and off all of us went. I was amazed at how fast we were in the country - Reykjavik is not a very big funds city and most of Iceland is uninhabited. When we reached the glacier, I immediately fell in love. The weather was image perfect and the contrasting colours of blue sky and also the white glacier were exceptional.

We took a few minutes to go over a security brief, put on our additional clothes and crampons after which we were off. Our trip guide was very well-informed and told us all types of facts about Iceland, glaciers and the like. But , what I liked greatest was when everyone halted talking. Rarely in our occupied lives do we get to encounter absolute silence and that had been one of the early pleasures of the glacier tour - all of us stopped walking and speaking and there it was, complete silence. I turned our face to the sun and soaked up this moment.

Later on, we got to explore some rainure and beautiful blue-white glaciers sculptures. When you touch this type of ice, you are amazed by exactly how smooth it is - such as polished glass. We got in order to walk through long side rails that were like narrow snow hallways. Are you looking for Backpack Amsterdam Packages



What struck myself about this glacier was it seemed to have a positive impact on everyone's mood. It really is kind of like the glacier is actually pumping out negative ions and it helps you feel content material and grounded in that second. I also think that the glacier, by the fact that it has been about for so long, imparts a particular sense of history and nearly embodies a wise personality. Perhaps it was just me, I am inclined to anthropomorphize everything.

One the way in which back to the city, our manual also stopped by a couple of beautiful waterfalls, Skógafoss and also Seljalandsfoss. Being from the traditional western US, I am not used to viewing so much water and I has been struck by the raw energy and beauty of these drops. Raw power and elegance is a good analogy for Iceland in general.

All-in-all I was really satisfied with my Iceland trekking tour experience. This particular travel wasn't very strenuous, if you want something more bodily, you can choose a different tour. I believe that one day I would like to return here and do one of their own multi-day tours.

Comments